Saturday, September 22, 2007

Can't Stop...IKEA. Not related. Sort of.

Can't sleep either. I'd tell you why, but it's really disgusting (i.e. drowning in mucus). Oh, wait, just told you. Sorry. Hope you weren't enjoying a tasty treat while reading this (tapioca).

Hehe. Junior high sense of humor fulfilled.

Seriously, though, have you ever seen the music video for the Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Can't Stop?" GENIUS. If everything else they ever did was crap, they would still earn my respect for emulating Erwin Wurm in a music video.

If you don't know who Erwin Wurm is, you really have to google him. His art (one-minute sculptures, mostly dealing with people and various objects) is just utterly random...but I have to appreciate how he sees the world. My personal favorite is a girl sitting perfectly straight on a sidewalk in a major city, titled something like "Sitting on the sidewalk and thinking about Spinoza." There's a sort of timelessness about the photo that's just...well...genius. I don't know, I just feel it. Some of his odder stuff with bananas I really don't get, but hey, one or two items of art that really speak to you are better than nothing.

Anyway, check out the video. My personal favorite moments are the guitar solo in packing peanuts, Anthony Ketis' apparent allergy to shirts (although we've known that for years), but his ability to wear a gigantic plastic dress, the room full of lamps, and Flea in a purple Barney head. If that doesn't pique your interest, nothing will.

Like I said... GENIUS.

I'm really hoping to be not grossly ill enough to wander through IKEA tomorrow. Mike will be getting a big paycheck soon (he's been teaching for a month but we have seen almost no money so far...dang it), and we have several things that desperately need replacing (our hazardous to your health in an earthquake, mismatching older than dirt bookcases...that we don't have enough of anyway), our desk that doesn't fit Michael's ancient computer (and my laptop's screen is broken...boo), the hand-me down table that has served us well (but I hate mid-80's country style kitchen stuff...which is exactly what it looks like. I feel like I should have a rooster or geese decorations on it), and the even worse chairs...some of which I keep a stack of books on so we don't use them. I'm a little concerned about their stability. So I want to window shop.

Don't get me wrong; we were so outrageously and totally blessed in getting all of the wonderful hand-me-down stuff we did. But now that we live in a household with two decent incomes, I'm dying to do some of the "nesting" that I didn't get to do in the first eight months of our marriage.

We also have a young couple that live a few apartments down that have absolutely nothing at all. We've seen into their apartment a couple of times: two folding chairs and a card table. Literally all the furniture they have in the front room. Mike and I figure we'll offer them our stuff as we replace it.

Aahh, well. My body has to stop draining at some point. Maybe then I'll get some sleep. Grrrr.

4 comments:

univrsltransl8r said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
univrsltransl8r said...

Oh, man! I've been drowning in mucus too.
However, on the Red Hot Chili Peppers note, I really loved the video for their song "Otherside," but one of my friends (a film student) pointed out that it was heavily influenced by Robert Wiene's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Ok, so he actually used the term, "rip-off," but I still think it's an awesome video, and if you haven't seen it, I totally reccommend you do some kind of search or something and find it!

Thanks for explaining that weird "Can't Stop" video to me, though. I was really wondering what the heck that was all about! LOL!

BTW, why is your laptop screen broken!? What happened? I hope you feel better!!

univrsltransl8r said...

Haha, yeah. I tried to cover my tracks, but Blogger ratted me out! Stinkin' Blogger! I accidentally called it "Don't Stop" instead of "Can't Stop" last time, so I deleted it. LOL!!

univrsltransl8r said...

Okay, so like I thought, actually quite easy to find with a Google search for "Otherside"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumNe7guYXs

Clearly, as Wikipedia points out, some Cubist and MC Escher influence as well. I think there is maybe a dash of surrealism as well, but after watching it again, I must say... Still brilliant. I love it!